Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Summer Rolls Wrapped Snug



So you read the post on the Colaba fish market by Manisha on her blog Indian Food Rocks.

I have taken for ever to post the story of our meeting but you have read about it on Manisha's so let me tease you with the wonderful gifts that she brought for me instead. I was able to have a new experience in the culinary world.

I made summer rolls, Yay! I haven't found rice paper easily in Mumbai or may be I did not look for it in the right places. I would think Crawford Market has it all after all Mumbai gets everything from all over the world. If you can't get it in Mumbai there is lesser chance you will get it in anyother Indian city. Anyways when I saw the rice paper I was thrilled and immediately I wanted to make those 'baby in the womb' summer rolls. Don't wince that's what I think of, in a cute way when I see pics of summer rolls wrapped in the thin rice paper. Technically it is not rice paper but rather Tapioca paper so says the packet label too. 


So when Manisha gifted this wrapper to me along with these other lovely gifts. I was already picturizing myself being double happy doing the things she did. I was tempted to take that shot of rice paper against the light just to show you again how beauty lies in transparency.

I had papaya on hand so sprouted some moong beans a day ahead for Som Tam. Just as Dad was wondering if we were going to eat only Som Tam as we prefer a soup or a crunchy something to go with it. I set the table up. He was surprised what a bowl of hot water was doing at the table. I did a demo for him once but he did not pick up the rolling bit, He was rolling them loose. So I decided to make the rolls for him and rolled them nice and snug.

The only thing I want to change here is use of lettuce leaves instead of cabbage leaves. I was lazy not to go get lettuce from the market. The cabbage is stiffer than lettuce so it tends to tear the wrapper if you are not careful. Taste wise it will be a different experience too.

So here are my completely vegetarian Summer rolls no they are not Asian veg, they are Indian veg!

Ingredients 

For Som Tam

300gms green raw papaya
1/2 cup cucumber
1/2 cup moong sprouts
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 green onions (I did not have them)
2 nos. fresh red chili
2 nos. limes
4 tablespoons Palm jaggery (I used Date palm jaggery) 
3 tablespoons soya sauce
4 cloves garlic 
2-3 tablespoons coarsely crushed peanuts
15 lettuce leaves (I used cabbage, not a good idea)
Salt if required

First peel n wash the green raw papaya. Cut open, deseed if there are seeds in it; mine did not have any as I had bought a tender small one. Shred the papaya, I used a mandolin for it. 

Shred the cucumbers too. I kept the skins on as I used green cucumbers and I like a little texture and color.

There were 2 red Jalapenos on my plant in the window which turned out right for this recipe. Slit them, deseeded and julienned them.

Now in a big salad plate mix together the shredded papaya, cucumber, red chili juliennes, moong sprouts and cilantro. I did not have spring onions on hand so skipped them.

Next in a measuring jug squeeze out the juice of 2 limes. Add the jaggery to it followed by the soya sauce. Mince the garlic and add to it. Mix well with a spoon to disolved the jaggery. This is the dressing for the salad.

Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well to coat. Finally sprinkle the coarsely crushed peanuts over it.

I did not use any extra salt as the soya sauce is already salty enough but if you need more pl. go ahead and use it.

The Peanut sauce for dipping

1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1/4 cup oil
2 cloves garlic
1 no. lime 
1 tablespoon soya sauce
1 cup water

Grind the roasted peanuts with the oil  and garlic to a creamy consistency in a chutney grinder. I ground it to creamy yet chunky consistency. Squeeze into it the juice of 1 lime. Add soya sauce to it. Add the water to make the sauce. Give it a whir again. Remove the sauce to a bowl. 

To serve


Lay out on the table the Som Tam salad plate, a hot water bowl, wrapper paper and the dipping sauce.

Step 1. Dip the wrapper paper in the hot water.
Step 2. Lay it on your plate. Wait 30 sec for it to soften.
Step 3. Place the lettuce leaf. Make sure you are removing the rib. Spoon on it Som Tam.
Step 4. Wrap the Salad with the softened wrapper paper into a snug roll, Keep dipping your finger into the water if they become sticky.
Step 5. Enjoy the freshest roll with the peanut dipping sauce!

Thank you Manisha again for the lovely gifts. The zataar was used in my first catering order as you know. I am still using the shower gel and body lotion too. Making them last longer as they are gifts from a smart and lovely friend like you.

2 comments:

  1. Aren't they pretty! I must make these again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty and so full of flavour and freshness. Yes make them. What do stuff the rolls with?

      Delete

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail