Friday, May 24, 2013

Vari Vegetable Hotchpotch


I have a very busy life packing a lot of things into it, in an attempt to live it to the fullest.

Especially my music class, it is one thing I never like to miss. So on those days even if We have had to eat a pasta dinner it is ok.

There are times when I want to be ordering those delicious Pizzas and save with the Dominos Coupons my order is never complete without garlic bread and cheese dip.

In recent times I came across this service called FoodPanda, you can order online from a choice of your favourite restaurants and save with FoodPanda Coupons. I do it especially when I have company to share all the yummy food. Else slog like I did! Really!!

I completely missed that I was out of stock of rice. There was no atta to make rotis and no besan to make chillas. That's when I found the used packet of Vari or foxtail millet. For us Vari is fasting food and the spicing is always kept simple with just cumin seeds and green chilies. On this day I wanted something hearty yet with a touch of  spice moving away from the satvic taste associated with recipes using Vari.

I made this Hotchpotch just a little loose not a khichadi and not a biryani somewhere in between. It was lovely to sit with our little pots cuddling them and eating straight out of them warm and satisfying.


Ingredients

1/2 cup Vari
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup peas
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 large onion diced
1 tablespoon Suhana veg biryani masala
1 tablespoon oil
salt to taste
a pinch of sugar

Heat oil. Fry onions. Follow in with the vegetables one by one and stiring to mix. Add the biryani masala. Top up with 3 cups water. Cook until thick and soft but not mushy. Cover and cook. Before removing from heat add salt and sugar and allow the flavours to steep for 5 mins. Put off heat. Serve in individual pots with lids and enjoy steaming hot!

On another note my friend Nimmy, suggested I read Stephen Mitchell's translation of the Bhagawad Gita. I simply love Flipkart's deliveries and when you have these FlipKart Coupons then nothing less than a happy dance. I ordered the book instantly and it was door delivered the next day.

It's a phase I am in when I need this much. I have read several versions before and have aborted reading some due to discomfort with the fonts or sometimes the language. I have done several Parayans of Dynaneshwari but yet find it difficult to understand and even more difficult to accept and implement in my life. One who claims that they understand Gita are surely evolved I must say and if they are able to live the prescribed life eliminating some of the time contextual thoughts in it, are surely of the cadre above the average person. This new translation is beautiful and will appeal to that class who are not comfortable with Sanskrit and vernacular versions. The language used is beautiful the author has painstaking maintained the meter of the original poetry and Nimmy and me agree that the choice of words is perfect! Order your copy and add to your collection a wonderful book that you can read and then pull out anytime for your daily motivational quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking the time to leave your thoughts here.

On Trail